Located on the roundabout at the crossroads where South Bar Street, Horse Fair, and the High Street meet, the present Banbury Cross, a beautiful ornate monument, was commissioned to celebrate the wedding of Queen Victoria’s eldest daughter Victoria Adelaide to Prince Frederick of Prussia in 1858.
However, the original Banbury Cross, known as the High Cross, was situated in Market Place.
Demolished by the Puritans in 1600 a plaque now marks its former location in the town.
Banbury BID is the official promotional organisation for Banbury town centre aiming to attract and deliver value to businesses and visitors. All content is managed by Banbury BID.